Thursday, March 28, 2013

S60 interior and exterior led conversion

So, my beloved readers, I will tell you about my almost full led conversion. After installing my Xenon lights, I started loving the electric white-blue ( or ice blue if you prefer ) color they produced and started loathing the yellow almost hepatic color normal bulbs produce. And no, this story doesn't start with a trip to the guy who installed my xenon lights... unfortunately. This story starts with me buying some cheap 5W5 LED bulbs. They were OK, the light they produced was very faint and a bit too blue if you ask me. They came in a set of 4 and were about 5$ the set.
my first position/parking LED lights
Needless to say they soon started to burn out on a regular basis especially when driving on bumpy roads ( don't get it why, it could be a coincidence since most roads in Romania are bumpy :)) ) Oh, and they didn't gave me a burned bulb error.
Sick of this fact, I decided to give a call to my Xenon guy and asked him if he has some quality LEDs. He told me yes, 5 minutes later i was at his garage. He sold me some SMD LEDs for my position/parking lights.
Photo with flash, parking/position lights on.
 Photo without flash, parking/position lights on.
  Photo without flash, parking/position lights on.
 As you can see, they are pretty bright. And much whiter. So next day, went back and bought some other SMD LEDs. This time for:
puddle lights. photo without flash
puddle lights. photo with flash (sorry, my car really needs a bath)

 license plate. photo with flash
 ...and license plate photo without flash.

But I also wanted the same light inside so I switched the following lights to SMD LEDs

Dome light. Again photo without flash. 
 same dome lights photo with flash
and the front reader spots

ambient light passenger side (without flash)
 ambient light driver side (without flash)
 rear reading lamps (without flash)
The best thing about all the interior lights is that they still maintained the nice dimming effect after turning on the ignition.
I also had converted the light from the glove box. However that was a not so successful conversion because the bulb was a little to short and because of that, it didn't always make proper contact with the socket, resulting in the led malfunctioning. So I switched back to the original bulb. Also, I wasn't able (yet) to change the vanity mirrors lights since those require a very thin and long bulb. However, I will probably try to modify a normal SMD LED (similar to that I used in the center dome light) to fit (not a priority).
The cost this time was a lot higher, each bulb costing about 10$. But they are still going strong since 2009. And besides that I love the cool light inside and outside my car.

So, what do you think? Hope you liked this article too! I would love some feed-back from all of you, my readers.

9 comments:

  1. I like that a lot! It gives a new dimension. I am a big fan of Volvo S60. I must buy it! I saw one on www.warrenhenryvolvo.com and has to go on test driving..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you bought it! If you did, I'm sure you'll be glad you did, and I would welcome you in the big Volvo family.

      Delete
  2. Have you ever thought about installing a steering wheel from an s60R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi gord7 and thanks for the feedback! Yes I wish I will install a new steering wheel, however I would like the newer non R model.

      Delete
  3. Hi from Canada. We have something in common. I love Volvos . I have an s60, and it is the best car. My last car was 740 GLE and I had 1,555,000 kilometers when I gave it to my daughter in law. I enjoy your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi gord7! Funny how two different people separated by a large distance have similar stories. My 740 GLE had a lot less kilometers (~350000). I am so glad you managed to pass it to someone in your family. Did you signed it in the Volvo High Mileage Club?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi El, to be honest, some of my Smds are 7 years old now. I don't want to recommend a brand per se, I just don't buy the cheapest. Of course if you have funds, you cand buy a good brand, but sometimes you can find a non brand to be just as good and durable.

      Delete