Friday, May 9, 2014

Volvo S60 front bumper disassembly


Hello!
It's been a while. The people that follow this blog, know that a few months back I decided to close it. After some time thinking about how much work I invested and seeing that what I do here actually helps some people, I decided to bring the blog back

So, let's get cracking.
Today I decided to write about the steps necessary to take the front bumper off your car. As you may already know, I have changed my headlights (new post soon) so in order to remove them I had to take the front bumper off.

This procedure is easy. You start by taking off the bumper moldings. You can use a bone tool or your bare fingers if you are careful enough not to scratch the paint.

If you have a '00 - '04 front bumper model like mine, all you need is to pry the left and right moulding. The center one and even the license plate can remain on your bumper. However be careful not to pull too hard so you won't break the little clips holding the molding to to bumper.

Next step is removing the 6 plastic clips from under the hood. They can be removed easily by pressing them with a screwdriver. After you are done with whatever work you had to do with your bumper you can reuse them.
Next you have 1 torx T25 screw on both sides of the car under the wheel arch that need to be unscrewed . As you unscrew it make sure you push on it, this way it will push against a locking mechanism that is attached to the bracket that holds the bumper. 
Lastly there are two 10mm screws that need to be unscrewed and you are almost done. One is on the right hand side...
And the other on the left hand side
After all this unscrewing and pressing, it's time to take it off. I suggest you put some cloths or something soft under the front bumper before proceeding. The last part requires 2 persons because it is easier to slide the bumper off the brackets this way. I am not saying it can not be done by a single person, I'm just saying it is more difficult that way. 
After you have detached the bumper from the car, let it rest on the cloths, but be sure that you disconnect the fog lights (if equipped). The fog lights are very easy to take out of their housing. 
Done. Make sure to store the bumper out of your way and place it in as much of a natural position as possible to avoid warps or chips of the paint.
End result

It's good to be back! Safe journeys everyone! Don't forget to comment in the section below if you have any questions or ideas. I would love to read them! Hope this helped.





8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this video. I am planning to install after market headlights and I now feel confident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi gord7! I am glad you found the video helpful!

      Delete
  2. For a repair like this one, others would prefer to entrust their cars to a repair guy, just to make sure that it will be done properly. But it seems it wasn't necessary, since you easily handled it yourself. Knowing your way around cars is a very useful skill, especially if you're passionate about cars. Thanks for sharing!

    Jaime Mcgee @ Michael's Auto Body and Glass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, i have the exact same car, volvo s60 00-04 base model, is that even possible if i buy a new headlight and front bumper from 06-09 s60 and replace it to my 00-04 s60?
    Thanks before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, it is possible. I will do it myself this summer when I'll have the time.

      Delete
  4. hi guys i have volvo s60 2005 with this front bumper 39986259 i want to change it to this front bumper 39871587, when i ask the dealer he told that he dont know if it fit my volvo s60 2005 or not, so am asking is it fit my volvo 2005 or not??
    please answer me soon as possible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It will fit as long as you buy all the parts supports, side brackets and so on.

      Delete