Sunday, April 14, 2013

Let's spin those wheels and clean that 'shield

Hello there! What a beautiful Sunday it is. We can already smell the summer aromas and feel the wonderful touch of the sun. About a year ago, I felt the urge to buy some 17" wheels. Of course I didn't had the budget to buy new ones (with prices in the range of 1000 euro per piece) so I started browsing the net for used ones in good condition. In fact, the search started around Christmas last year, but unfortunately, I didn't manage to find anything to my liking.
First I found a set of 4 THOR wheels. They were ok in the pictures, but they were very nasty looking, when under a closer inspection.
After I found a set of TALOS wheels. Ahh, the TALOS... Some of my favourite ones out there. Unfortunately the price was close to a new set so, with a broken heart, I forgot about them.
This is when I dropped the search until May last year, when I found a pair of ZAURAK. They where diamond cut/dark gray in color and curiously enough were originally mounted on a Volvo V70 MY 2005. Well, I know, Volvo offers the ZAURAK on the C30, S40 and V50, and they have slightly other dimensions as the S60 17" wheels. But, considering they were mounted successfully on the V70 mentioned above, I decided to go ahead. I found them at a car recycle yard (yes, the V70 had an accident) and I was really afraid they were damaged in a way not visible in the pictures I received.
Luckily, they arrived the next day and I was very happy with my purchase since they were almost new. Only one of them had a damaged spoke (very deep scratch) but I will repair that eventually. Here are some pics:

sexy close-up
 and another picture (here you can see some marks on my left fender, a guy decided to overtake me when I was parking, will be fixed sometime in the future)
and a picture of my old MIMAS 16" wheels that are now used as winter tyres

All went well, just plug and play... with a sole exception... the new wheels started to rub against the plastic mud cover which is situated under the fender. What a stroke of luck that I thought of that before and bought the black steering stop limiter (OEM code 31212191) (normally they are for the 18" tyres). There are also some white steering stop limiters made for 17" wheels (OEM code 31212190).
Here are some pics of the steering stop limiters both the blue one (really used) which was factory installed on the car and the new black ones:
the blue one (OEM code 31212189) (only for 16" wheels).
 black and blue
 and again from the side. (notice how much bigger the black one is)
That fixed the wheel rubbing.

The last mod I did last summer was to switch my wiper blades to the new flat design which is standard on the +2005 Volvo S60s. They are BOSCH and were a gift from my beloved girlfriend, now fiancee, future wife ;)...
 ... don't forget to check her blog
Safe journeys everyone! Don't forget the comment section bellow, if you have any questions or other ideas. I would love to read them!

3 comments:

  1. There are a lot of reasons why a car owner should own winter tires and don't settle for all season tires. This is a great investment, especially if you live in an area where you often experience very cold weather. Winter tires are built for maximum grip in icy road making it safe for you to drive. If you live in remote areas you should be owning these type of tires.

    Arlyne Nelms @Spartan Toyota

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arlyne Nelms! Thanks for the feedback!Indeed I own 2 separate sets of tyres. Back when I only had one set of alloys I used to swap winter and summer tyres on them. Your input is, however is correct. I never owned all season tyres.

      Delete